Tax Refund in the UK

One in three people are due a tax refund in the UK.

There are a number of reasons why you could be due a tax refund in the UK. They include:
  • Incorrect tax code issued by HMRC (Her Majesty Customs and Revenue)
  • Incorrect tax deducted by your employer
  • If you were unemployed for any period of time
  • If you had more than one job at the same time
  • If you're a student you could be due a student tax refund
  • You can also claim a tax refund if you left the UK

But why not make sure if you're due a tax refund in the UK?

It's free and easy, simply:
  • Use our tax calculator on the right to see if you're due a tax rebate
  • If you're due a tax refund, create a free EasyLimited account
  • Follow the instructions on EasyLimited to create your tax refund claim pack
You do not need any prior experience in completing a tax refund claim in the UK. It’s all part of our tax rebates service.

So why wait, register now with and claim your UK tax refund today!

• How much will this service cost me?

Our software will calculate whether you're due a refund or not for free. If you then decide to claim your refund we charge a flat fee of £43.99. No commssion, and no percentage of your tax claim. £43.99 only.

Hide This Hide All

• How long does it take to claim a tax refund?

It usually takes between 6 to 8 weeks for HMRC (Her Majesty Customs and Revenue) to either deposit the money into your personal bank account or to issue a cheque.

Hide This Hide All

• What documents do I need to claim a tax refund?

You need one of the following for each employment you had in the tax year you're claiming a tax refund for:

  • Either a P60,
  • or a P45,
  • or a Statement of Earnings,
  • or payslips.

If you had any taxable benefits you'll also need a P11.

Please note: Once you start entering employment information on EasyLimited you'll receive detailed assistance on how to get hold of these documents and how to get the correct figures from these documents.

Hide This Hide All

• What is a National Insurance (NI) number?

Your National Insurance number is your own personal account number with HMRC. The format of a permanent National Insurance number is 2 letters followed by 6 digits and another letter i.e. AB123456C.

If your NI number is not in this format chances are you've got a temporary NI number, and you will have to apply for permanent NI number.

Your NI number ensures that the National Insurance contributions and the tax you pay are properly recorded on your account. It also acts as a reference number for the social security system.

Hide This Hide All

• Do I need a National Insurance number to claim overpaid tax back?

If you only worked in the UK for a very short period and don't have a National Insurance number you can still make a claim IF you are due a tax refund. HMRC will use your date of birth and personal address to trace your records, but this could mean delays in processing your claim.

Your tax refund forms can easily get lost as it is harder for HMRC to track your records if you don't have a National Insurance number.

So yes, you can still make a claim, but it's not the ideal situation and delays are very likely.

Hide This Hide All

• What is a tax refund or tax claim?

Every employee pays tax according to the amount he/she earns in a personal tax year. The employer deducts the tax from the employee's gross pay and then pays it across to HMRC. If your employer has deducted too much tax in a personal tax year from your Gross pay then you need to submit a tax repayment claim form to HMRC to claim the amount of overpaid tax back.

Hide This Hide All

• Why would my employer deduct too much tax?

For a number of reasons. Tax gets deducted on the assumption that you'll be employed for the entire duration of the tax year. (A tax year in the UK starts on the 6th of April and ends on the 5th of April the following year.) If you are not employed for the duration of the tax year, chances are you overpaid tax. It's also possible that you had the wrong tax code, or that your employer deducted emergency tax.

Hide This Hide All

• When can I claim a tax refund or rebate?

You can make a claim after the personal tax year has ended (05 April) or
you can claim for the current tax year if you have stopped working and you will not be working for a UK company again before the end of the current tax year (6th of April).

Hide This Hide All

• I overpaid tax about four years ago, can I still claim that money back?

If you've overpaid tax you can claim it before the 31 January, five years after the end of the tax year (5 April) in which the overpayment was made. For example, a claim for the tax year 2005-06 (which ended 5 April 2006) must be made by 31 January 2011.

Hide This Hide All

• I'm a foreign national and I'm going back to my home country. Can I claim ALL my tax back?

No, you can only claim overpaid tax back. If you only worked in the UK for part of the tax year (6th of April to the 5th of April the following year)you've probably overpaid tax. In this case you'll be able to claim the overpaid tax back.

Hide This Hide All

• How do I know how much I will get back?

This varies form situation to situation. It all depends how much you earned in a tax year and how much PAYE tax you paid. Tax works on a sliding scale, the more you earn the more tax you pay.

The easiest way to calculate your refund amount is to use the calculator to the right. Our calculator will tell you how much you're getting back. (And it's free, you only pay us if you decide to go ahead with the tax claim.)

Hide This Hide All

• Do I need to be in the UK to claim overpaid tax back?

No, you can claim from anywhere in the world. Our software was developed to assist you whether you're in the UK or not.

Hide This Hide All

• Do I need to make use of a tax agent?

No. Making use of a tax agent can be a time consuming, costly process. And it's not necessary. Claiming back your overpaid tax is very easy. All you need is some basic guidance, and this is exactly what our software was designed to do.

Another thing that most people don't realise is that once you appoint a tax agent that tax agent will stay your tax agent until you specifically ask HMRC to remove the company as your tax agent. This means tax agents can still receive information about your tax affairs long after they processed your tax claim.

Hide This Hide All

• Are you part of the Association of Tax Agents?

If you claim a tax refund through a tax agent the agent will instruct HMRC to pay your refund into the agent's bank account. The agent will then deduct their fee and / or commission and pay the rest into your bank account.

Agents use this method to make sure they get paid. The risk of a client taking the tax refund and never paying the agent is too big if the money got paid directly into the client's bank account

The Association of Tax Agents (ATA) was created to protect your tax refund in the event of one of their members going out of business while your tax claim money is still in the agent's bank account.

At we never touch your refund. Your refund will be paid to you directly from HMRC. So in the unlikely event that we go out of business your money will still be safe. In fact, there is no safer way of claiming a tax refund. You are in complete control of your refund at all times.

Hide This Hide All


About Us is a Free information service regarding all your tax needs. Our services include:
1. A News Forum, to keep you up to date with any new developments in the UK tax arena.
2. An Advanced Tax Calculator, to provide you with a way to accurately calculate how much tax you should be paying.
3. Ground Breaking online tool to help you quickly and easily claim a tax refund from HMRC.

We take care of all the complexities of claiming your tax refund, while leaving you in total control of your money. No agent needed!

Designed by Finc IT